Big Bend Literary Magazine
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Big Bend Literary Magazine seeks poignant, breathtaking submissions written or created by those deeply affected by the nature, beauty, and culture of the Big Bend region. Big Bend has long inspired and harbored creators.
The submission window is now open for Issue Six “Creation”. The desert is always creating, even in dormancy, inspiring us to create and re-create ourselves. Whether created by the hand of God or Man, the cycle of creation and destruction is all around and within us. All the world is art. You are art. For this issue, we want you to make art and share it with us. We want to see your creation, read your thoughts on the process, hear your tales of working on your opus, see artwork and photography you pined over, and feel that feeling you had when you spontaneously formed a masterpiece, the delirium that was creation.
- All works are to be 12-pt. double-spaced, preferably in a doc. format.
- Under 4500 words per piece
- Unedited pieces that have not been crafted for publication will not be accepted.
- DO NOT provide a bio. Cover letters are not necessary, either. We want to read your work blind.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine. Please indicate if the work has been published and/or let us know if it has been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Please indicate your full name within the file name.
- Creative nonfiction, fiction, essays, book excerpts, reviews, flash fiction, and prose: Submit no more than two pieces. Please wait to hear back from us before submitting new work.
- Poetry: Submit no more than five poems. Please wait to hear back from us before submitting new work.
- Photography and art: Submit no more than five pieces. Please wait to hear back from us before submitting new work.
- Big Bend Literary Magazine retains First North American Serial Rights and First Electronic Rights for all work that it accepts for publication. Upon publication, all rights immediately revert back to the author. We simply ask that any future publications of work that we publish recognize Big Bend Literary Magazine as the original publisher.
- We may consider previously published works for those local to the Big Bend area ONLY. Please indicate if the work has been previously published, where, and any pertinent information regarding citation for this work. Please also provide a link to the work on the publisher's site. If this is not available, please provide a link to the publisher.
Please review the full guidelines below:
Please consider a donation for reading fees, website hosting, and other costs by using the donation button below. Your donation or lack thereof will have no bearing on whether or not your work is published. Unlike many other literary journals, we are not sponsored by a university, foundation, or corporation. In the spirit of Big Bend, we desire to remain a maverick publication, beholden to no other than whoever happens to be masthead at the time. Money may later sponsor awards and prizes for creative works. In order to nominate our contributors for awards, we must pay submission fees to those award contests. The sky is the limit, especially here in Big Bend.